Hiking Update

Well it's been a hot minute since I've updated on the ole blogspot. So .. here's the latest

After my triathlon in June I all but stopped any triathlon style training. I was running one to two times a week and had "planned" on swimming outside while the weather was nice... but we know how plans can go sometimes. I was riding my bike to and from work (a whopping 30 mins total) and going on the odd ride here and there but for the most part things just came to a stand still.

I did sign up for a standard or Olympic length triathlon in Cultus Lake for Sept.
But, when you stop training are you really prepared? They closed the pool at my gym and I'm already paying 50$ a month to attend and ended up finding more excuses as to why I couldn't pay a drop in fee somewhere else and train.

I also ended up getting sick right around the beginning of August and with the fires and smoke in the area (air quality) I also stopped running and riding outside. I still enjoy the odd spin class but that's not enough to get you ready for a triathlon

Long line of excuses later, I opted OUT of this years race and requested a roll over for the following year. The weather at this race was the worst on record! I suppose you could call that a bullet that I dodged haha

Also in September, I got to go to Tofino for the first time! The whole family went. Myself, my hubby, my parents and my sister stayed for 5 days in a cabin right on the beach. It was a dream.
Last year in Sept just my dad and I went to Manning park for three days camped and hiked just the two of us and this year he asked if I wanted to go longer / further and I agreed. Originally we were thinking of going to Jasper National Park but closer to the date my dad shared he was nervous about the snow he thought could be in the area (duh, its awfully close to Alberta) so he suggested Manning park again.. to which I wasn't too excited because we just went there last year. So I suggest Tofino and he was intrigued enough to find a place

We had planned on some more hikes this year and were hoping to try out Lone Cone. We do not have kayaks and needed a water taxi but none were available before 12 noon and the hike recommended 6 hours round trip which puts us into dusk and none of us were interested in that
Plus, the water taxi was going to cost us around 100$ each which was huge no bueno

Instead, we did a hike in Ucluelet that my sister got to be a part of as well. We ended up turning in around 12 km of walking along the shore line and it was nice










The next day, my dad, hubby and I all went back to Ucluelet and hiked a lighthouse trail then followed it up with Ozzard just off of the native reserve. It looked like science world at the top. It was a weather station ha. Thankfully it cleared up a bit on the way back down



Pretty steep, super quiet and foggy the hike was still good but it would have been about 100x better if we could have gotten a good view of all the surrounding areas

Fast forward to today -- one month later. Dad and I went to Mt Cheam in Chilliwack. This hike has been on my list for literally 5 years! You need a 4x4 to get to the peak and I do not own one. So today started around 6am and we got back around 4pm. The views are everything you think they're going to be. You can see for miles and on a clear day its fabulous. It took just shy of two hours to get to the top and the trail got quite busy on our way back (roughly 12 noon)
           






With tired legs, and freshly showered. Ready to call it a night and share some photos online.
Heading out next weekend again to check a big item off my bucket list


details to come
-Jess

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to quit

Hiking during a pandemic

S.A.H.M. / S.A.H.P