Is my baby getting in the way of making gains in the gym?

Is my baby getting in the way of making gainz  in the gym?
In a word... Yes. haha

Babies. Sweet babies. They bring so much joy and so many changes. For mama's there is a very big change in your body. (Usually) being the one to house and grow said baby things are a changing!

When I went for a post - partum check up with a pelvic floor physio  (*Which I would highly recommend if you have one in or around where you live) and she mentioned that I didn't have a lot of good connection to my abs. Which, is totally normal!  You literally just spent the past 9m + learning how to turn off the signal. I had a C section so I went from being a fully capable pregnant lady - doing squats on my due date - to be post surgery. Unable to use my abs without pain or discomfort and fear of 'doing something wrong' kept me pretty much out of the gym and certainly away from core exercises. 

I have since returned to core stability style training, and even some core specific work. Without any pain or discomfort! The body is an amazing thing

Back to the gainz  I think (most) Dads could still make the hashtag gains in the gym as their role in those first 4m aren't as primary role as moms. Especially if you've just had your first child. There aren't any other children's that need love and attention and a newborn does tend to sleep alot

What is getting in the way?
1) SLEEP - or lack there of. It's fairly well documented that brand new babies DO spend an awful lot of time sleeping however, they are also awake every 1.5-2 hours to eat.
it may be obvious already that the baby is the one making all the gains at this point haha
1a) One of the best tools for recovery and progression in training, and in live is SLEEP. So, it stands to reason that this very disrupted sleep you're currently "getting" will be a big obstacle

2) Diet - if you're breast feeding that's an awful lot of calories dedicated to the cause. You need to make sure to eat. Easier said than done (from personal experience anyways) back to point #1 having so little sleep didn't exactly have me jumping to food prep.
Some people will prep ahead of time, I did not. Instead I ate probably the worst I have in a long time. Between ordering in (thx skip) and easy microwave meals etc. At least I was willing to eat a vegetable or two now that I was no longer pregnant

3) Anxiety / Depression - not to be confused with baby blues. Almost everyone gets baby blues. They're common from the hormone dump that comes right after/during child birth. Again, breast feeding mamas may have another hit here as having your milk come in also has the fun of, you guessed it, hormones
3a) Anxiety to leave the baby for even an hour can be daunting. Using childcare in the gym (if possible) can be stressful, the germs! the other children! the added cost! Babies take so much planning sometimes it feels like it would be easier to just stay home (been there)

4) Sleep Regressions - my current favorite ...
Babies go through "regressions" every couple of months it seems. There are plenty of reasons for a baby to not be sleeping. Teething, Illness, sleep regression, Temp (of room), how they're swaddled / not swaddled, Noise, the list goes on
I have been promised that these days too shall pass but, when you've had a previously great sleeper they feel kind of unfair. I'm currently on night No.4

5) Time! Sure, everyone has the 'same 24 hrs in a day' that being said everyones 24 hrs can look different. Between wakings, changing diapers, feedings, introducing solids, stimulating games, socializing, mama & me groups, friends, trips, family dinners etc there are a lot of things to do! and feel guilty about not doing or missing
There are def times where sneaking out for some me time sounds next to impossible. Babies are needy, they go through seasons of which parent is my favorite, refusing to nap or having a spouse/partner that isnt' as comfortable with baby doing certain things so  the main roll of caretaker can fall on one person.

As a general consensus. Do what you can, when you can
Parenthood has the ultimate * attached to it. Be kind to yourself. Get to the gym / pool / field whatever your thing is when you can. Talk to you spouse / partner / sometimes caregiver about what you NEED not just from the physical aspect but also from the emotional one.

I've personally been guilty of never leaving my son with anyone else (even my hubby) and whenever I actually do - I feel good! recharged even  and my son is happy to see me when I get back now (which I love) Appreciate the time that you have try to let others in from time to time
Talk to a professional if you feel anxiety or stress that stops you from going out alone or trusting another with your babe.

Right now, regression specific. I'm on less sleep than before. So, my training has changed in reflection to that. As mentioned before, sleep is important. I've had less. I'm tired, not recovering the same and I've had to slow it down because of it.
This week I've gone to the gym twice. I have something tmrw that will stop me from being able to go tmrw so I'll go tonight. I've gone into the sauna twice this week too. The heat is great for recovery, it feels good, and there are also studies suggesting it helps with longevity. I'm into it all

I personally, feel better with a plan. I need to get out of the house as I mentioned in a previous post getting outside is critical in this house. We live in a basement suite that is in the ground. Which is great and awful at the same time. So, we make due. Swimming lessons, Strong Start, walks in our neighborhood or with friends

Hope you enjoyed this post. Yes, the glorious gainz can be made! Be realistic. Eat well and often, enjoy that little bundle of love, get out and do something for yourself and be a better version of yourself for it. Sometimes that will mean yoga instead of Crossfit style workout. Sauna or hot tub vs that 2km swim or a walk instead of run.

Take a quick mention to the fact that my body grew a bloody human! I nurtured that baby and used my body to protect and feed that baby. I'm his primary caregiver. I had a major abdominal surgery and am physically strong enough to lift him up and play with him. I get to be active 
Treating your body like crap, hating what you see in the mirror etc is so 2019. Let's leave it here, K?

I'll work on doing all that, if you will too :)
-Jess


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to quit

Hiking during a pandemic

S.A.H.M. / S.A.H.P