the Pre-Race Shake out

The Pre-Race shake out. What is it exactly?
Well, similar to what it sounds like. It is a smaller version of (whatever style) race you're doing

My most recent season, although short involved the shake out. My girlfriend offered to help me with post baby training for my triathlon and 10km trail race. It was nice to have a plan for the weight room and different styles of running, biking and swimming because I've been doing my own programming and honestly there is fault in that for a few reasons

1 - I don't pre write out my workouts. Things get missed and areas aren't being trained possibly as often to illicit the best gains

2 - I haven't taken any training to write programs. At best seeing or leaning online from podcasts or influencers will only get you so far. There is a lot of bad info out there

My girlfriend has the training  to teach others and she's also personally experienced in training for long distances. Winner!

As I shared before I was really happy with my race times for my triathlon! Several of the times were on par or better than my previously non-pregnant or immediately post partum self

Just a quick aside - I'm very lucky to have both an even tempered son and supportive husband. He sees how crazy I get being stuck inside or not physically capable to do things. Even with a Csection and slow start to my overall fitness adventures since having my son it's been a big learning curve
My son is happy enough to be pushed in the running stroller for longer periods of time and for that I am grateful. Hopefully he will continue to like the running stroller (and biking stroller this summer) even though he has recently started walking!

My 10km trail race also went exactly how I had hoped. This race didn't include the baby but my friends did surprise me and ran with me too! My sub 1hr goal was a reality that day

My next race the 5km stroller friendly race posted previous to this post went swimmingly as well. I did 'train' for that one solo. I put train in quotations since I didn't truly do much more than run twice a week and resolve to 'haul ass' during race day

Back to pre-race. The day prior to my triathlon my gf suggested a quick swim/bike/run to shake it out. I think it helped
She also recommended a shorter run - maybe 20 mins? prior to my 10km race.. I also think it helped
So, the day before my 5km I went for an easy run. I ran around my parents place sans baby so there were some hill climbs at an easy pace. I got my heart rate up but didn't push too hard or far.

The premise for me. To loosen up! I'm not opposed to taking it easier the week of, especially for those longer distances. Not moving at all the day before could leave to feeling more sluggish and maybe even stiff. I found it gave me more confidence on race day. I've done this, I know I can do it again etc

I think the pre race shake out is here to stay! Once things calm down around here hopefully my goal to run another half marathon can be a thing! 




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to quit

Hiking during a pandemic

S.A.H.M. / S.A.H.P