Hiking during a pandemic

As the title proves, things have been a bit strange. 2020 has been a bit of a ride already and we are approx halfway through the year

As if I have to spell it out? Covid-19 is here and all over the news etc. For me, I was still on maternity leave so not a lot changed. Who I saw changed though. I only saw my husband and the soon to be toddler. My husband did the grocery shopping since he was the one who was at work still and I didn't see my parents or my sister for about 8wks? It actually was a long time

We live in a different town than our immediate families but we see our families (at least mine) pretty regularly. 

Hubby did take 2wks off, he had vacation time still from work so he used it to stay home with us and honestly it went a lot better than the beginning of mat leave (real talk) 
In that 2wk period the baby cut his first two teeth (yes, at 11 months) and started walking! So it ended up being a perfectly timed vacation time 

Now that things have opened a bit where we live. We have opened our circle to my parents, sister and brother in law. I went back to work. I ended up with a few extra weeks off than I had originally planned on (score!) and instead of being unpaid for 5wks I was able to collect a CERB payment which was super helpful. Really, aside from being inside all the time and the general nervousness that came with Covid when it was first being reported on. We had it really good 

Back to hikes! Being outside has always been encouraged and beautiful BC and I do prefer the outdoors. Even when it's been raining we still got outside when Ethan was just a wee baby. It was because I agreed to walk my friends dogs for her so I was obligated but I digress 

I've never been one to enjoy hiking alone so if my hubby didn't want to go (often the case) or if he was back at work I'd go out with my dad or one of my gfs

Recently I took my dad to Ledgeview where I had wanted to go show him the caves I found with a friend and aunt but we entered from a new (to me) area so we didnt make it. We did however get some pretty decent views


I also finally got to check off Chadsey Lake from my list and it was gorgeous! Feels very into the woods and a bit of a drive. Pretty quiet ( on the day we went anyways )I found it kind of tough but it could have been the lack of nutrition and need for more regular water intake while on hike may have played a factor 

Would highly recommend both hikes. Ledgeview is definitely easier in my opinion but has some steep uphills. I've heard that cougars have been spotted however I've never seen one and I'm def alright with that fact ha. I'd imagine that bears are pretty common on Chadsey as it was really quiet and certainly more into the woods than I was originally anticipating 
Chadsey it preferred after a string of warmer weather as it can get really muddy and slippery also. There is a lake (obviously) that encourages a cool off once you've reached your destination. 

Beware of bugs on both. Practice your leave no trace so you're not encouraging animals 


Here are a few pics to enjoy :) I love a good picnic and taking off that pack feels awfully good too 
Note to self * bring more diapers, just in case. One ended up being enough on this trek but I'd hate to not have the appropriate amount another time 

Stopped for a bite after we made it to the lake at Chadsey









Comments

  1. My hubby and I got into hiking a little more this year. We've really been enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I want to quit

Food For Thought...