Popular Hikes

I recently read a post in a Hiking group on FB talking about the top 10 Worst Hikes in Vancouver

Worst basically means that its overhyped and too busy with all the instagram fools (you know the ones)
Quarry Rock is on the bad list, and I would have to agree. So popular, people everywhere. No parking, and ill equipped hikers. One of my favorite sayings when we head outside is that I don't want to become a statistic today and, preparedness comes with that

So, instead of Quarry Rock. We went to check out Black Mountain and Cabin lookout trail out of Cypress. I have wanted to hike St Marks for a while (my last time was in 2018) but it is super popular and with COVID still very much a thing I didn't want to be near so many other people 

The hike is pretty steep to start off with. Lots of switch backs and a number of people on the trail, as expected. I left the wee man with his dad and went with my girlfriend and her two wiener dogs. They did amazing, especially for such short legs. 

Also noted, two cute dogs get WAY more attention than one cute toddler. We had non stop comments from people noticing the dogs. 

Awwww, look at them!
They're so cute!
If they can do it, I can do it

And so on... 
The hike is pretty quick. Alltrails lists it as 5.3km if you go entirely around the lake. Which we did not. Took us about 45 mins to get to the lake and see the lookout which my girlfriend didn't know we were going to get to see so that was nice 

Weather is a little cooler up the mountain which was so nice! A very pleasant 24 degrees. Not nearly as many bugs as I was expecting from all the posts online. Definitely some flies but no mosquitos

We finished our afternoon without a dip but a small snack at the lookout and a stop at Buddha-Ful in Vancouver (yum!)

I'd happily go back and make the trek around also, maybe even a dip! There were definitely people swimming today 

Cheers!



 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to quit

Hiking during a pandemic

S.A.H.M. / S.A.H.P